Thursday, June 17, 2010

37 and counting!

Well look at that... it's my birthday and for once, I wasn't in a train station when the clock struck midnight!

Oddly I woke up and there was no stack of warm pancakes waiting for me. I guess my automated kitchen was not aware of today's significance.

Yes, today I am one year old. What's new this year? I am shopping Heritage Fields around, which may be some of my best work yet thanks in no small part to those who read bits of it and gave feedback. While it is genre fiction, it is also an allegory about me and my family.

No, we're not a family of street magicians who brew moonshine in the basement. But this book would not be what it is today without listening more closely to the people who are part of me. I may sound overly sentimental, but that is because I learned much about the importance of each person who intersects with your life.

Some folks will be with you for the long haul, others may flit in and out of your personal space but it is important to see how all the experiences shared create your landscape.

As for me in my 37th year... I will continue my aggressive pursuit of getting published. Market conditions are no excuse. If you have a kick-ass product, then go kick some asses with it!

I will explore more spooky places. A day trip to Philly for ghost hunting is in the very near future. And I should start planning my Halloween now. New Orleans was a good time last year, but maybe I will GO BIG this year and explore some haunted castles in Scotland or Ireland. Need a new video camera with nighttime "Spooky Skullhead Vision".

These little jaunts into the netherworld not just to scare myself, it's research for my books. Haunted places have rich history and often times good wine too! Perhaps the character of each town gets infused in the grapes.

For today, I will get some exercise and shop for Saturday's cooking adventure (stop by The Dojo if you are in the neighborhood and hungry, I'll have plenty of food). Forget the pancakes, I am getting myself a Belgian waffle maker today. Take THAT kitchen!

I'll drop by Mom's later and we'll sing Happy Birthday like a couple of kids with no adults around to stop us.

Having birthdays isn't about getting older as long as you continue to carry good cheer within. And THAT comes from folks like you who help make my day special.

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!

No comments:

Flame and Bone

When I was made from fire
Poured into the tender vessel of caution
That keeps my smoke from rising
Quickly did I discover that apart from crisp drizzles or falling snow
The world chilled my touched
Walking the narrow cornered gap between girders and cut stone
One learns to tuck his shoulders in or risk
Jostling a neighbor passing by rapt with want
For a clear path without the distraction
Of another man's boiling eyes
The tip of a finger
That oldest of all weapons
Grown deadlier and pristine in its invention
Gathers a mote of a cinder on its bare flesh
And turns pondering how best to scratch the impious itch
Prying open the tender seam
Where the oil of thought dews
Offering a new wick to ignite
Squirming alive as a salamander of mischief
That yearns for a taste of air it is so ready to devour
The steam of breath betrays me
Before the glint of orange spreads
In popping bright waves
Eroding the fibers feeding it
Leaving naught but ash
As my shell of quietude falls away