Sunday, February 1, 2009

Feeling Out the Market

Heritage House is getting into the 70+ page range. I am a busy bee.

There is something a little troubling from my perspective about the fiction market though.

There are a LOT of books in the supernatural thriller market about hip, bad ass women who wear stylish shoes while fighting/seducing demons and vampires.

Call it a blend of the romance and horror genres if you will and I KNOW I am not the target audience here.

Look, I am all for strong female characters. I admire women who get stuff done. I was a big fan of Xena, Warrior Princess back in the day. But fighting demons in your designer high heels? Really? REALLY?

To be fair, there is a show currently on TV called "Supernatural" on the CW that follows two young dudes who ride around the country hunting demons. Sometimes they face off against demon chicks in stylish outfits. But I can only watch that show so much before my grey matter rejects it.

Do we really want to see smarmy characters in designer clothes who constantly mouth off in the face of danger but always look good with perfect hair? There is a very popular book series, bestseller in fact, that usually elicits the following praise from its fans: "The characters are really hot/good-looking."

Again, that meets the needs for a particular audience and I should not worry about what other people enjoy. I mean, I don't want someone telling me what flavor of ice cream to eat. Then again, you hope that ALL types of stories get a fair shake on the market...

But the truth is, this is a business and the books have to sell.

Any way, I will give each of my manuscripts a two-year window of pitching to agents before I totally set it aside to focus on newer material. It doesn't mean my work is bad, just that I need to put my energies into something else to get published.

I may post excerpts of my older works online as I go along. That way some of it will see the light of day. And for anyone who read an earlier version of Riding Ten Thunders...

YOU HAVE NOT SEEN MY LATEST TREATMENT OF THIS STORY
.

I have three new queries out now pitching the book. I will repost the first chapter of Riding Ten Thunders here soon. All I ask is that you be honest, but fair with your comments. It's not a kid's book. It's not Conan the Barbarian. Just let the story be what it is. ;-)

Heritage House on the other hand... check back in June. I am still on target to get that first draft done by my birthday.

In about two weeks, the Liberty States Fiction Writers meet again. Next time the discussion will be on query letters, which is my weakest element. I am looking forward to the critiques and advice.

On the family front, Dad had his surgery Friday. They had to do a partial amputation. There will be a lot of adjusting for him. A lot will change out of necessity. Like always, I'll do what I can.

3 comments:

J said...

Since you're a sci-fi author, have you considered going to the Comic Con at the Javits this weekend? Since quite a bit of your target audience will most likely be there, it might help in your sales pitch to literary agents if you are able to make a connection to what you find popular at the convention with the storyline of your book.

Might be worth a shot, and if not that, then a good time for your inner child.

http://www.nycomiccon.com/

acereporter73 said...

Thanks, in the past I made many a trip to comic conventions though not so much in recent years. ;-) Actually someone I wrote a news story about will have a booth there this weekend.

At one point in my life I seriously wanted to become a comic book artist.

JC said...

I have never been to the comic con before, however I have always wanted to go. I might stop by on Saturday to see what the hub-bub is all about. It will make up for the cancellation of digital life last year.

The only conventions I used to go to were gaming conventions when I used to work the circuit. I would be surrounded by role playing games and collectable card games as far as the eye could see and the wonderful part about it was I got paid for it. LOL!

My drawing technique has always been anime-ish (grew up watching Macross aka Robotech and Voltron - God, I feel old) and as much as I tried, character continuity was never my strong suit... however storylines and situational irony were, which is why I love this site.

http://www.xtranormal.com/

Be prepared to relive your childhood wish.

...and, you're welcome. ^__^

Flame and Bone

When I was made from fire
Poured into the tender vessel of caution
That keeps my smoke from rising
Quickly did I discover that apart from crisp drizzles or falling snow
The world chilled my touched
Walking the narrow cornered gap between girders and cut stone
One learns to tuck his shoulders in or risk
Jostling a neighbor passing by rapt with want
For a clear path without the distraction
Of another man's boiling eyes
The tip of a finger
That oldest of all weapons
Grown deadlier and pristine in its invention
Gathers a mote of a cinder on its bare flesh
And turns pondering how best to scratch the impious itch
Prying open the tender seam
Where the oil of thought dews
Offering a new wick to ignite
Squirming alive as a salamander of mischief
That yearns for a taste of air it is so ready to devour
The steam of breath betrays me
Before the glint of orange spreads
In popping bright waves
Eroding the fibers feeding it
Leaving naught but ash
As my shell of quietude falls away